Bradley Schuster and the Holy Grail: Chapter 20

So, what exactly did I believe?

That thought rolled around in my head on my bike ride home from our bible-reading session at The Boomer’s place, and over and over again over the next couple of weeks. Your college years in your late teens and early twenties are supposed to be the time when you figure all that stuff out. And sure enough, it was pretty easy to come up with a discussion late at night on all sorts of heavy topics back when I lived in the dorm. But to be honest, after I moved into an apartment at the end of my sophomore year, the burning issues hadn’t done much more than smolder.

If pinned down, I would have said I was an agnostic. The safe, easy approach. Disbelieve a lot of things, not really sure about anything.

It’s relatively easy to disbelieve the details. If you have a reasonably discerning intellect and can approach the sub­ject of religion with any­thing approaching an open mind, you’re going to get there eventually. Knowledge is deadly; one class on comparative religion is a strong enough antidote to coun­teract fifteen or so years of in­sipid Sun­day School teachers. Science is even more so. That there is any such thing as a Christian scientist is indicative of the pow­er of early brainwashing in eliminating the open mind (not to be con­fused with a Christian Scientist, whose existence is more indicative of the fundamental truth that a charismatic leader can convince at least a few people of practically anything).

But when you begin to question the faith of your parents, it’s a gradual evolution; the slow triumph of knowledge, logic, and the scien­tific method over ignorance and superstition. You first acknowl­edge that something totally un­believable—probably the story of Noah’s Ark—is a leg­end rath­er than truth. I mean, when you see pictures of the ark, there’s always smiling elephants and giraffes sticking out the windows. But they never show all the bugs, a million different species and some guy with no biological training was supposed to sort out the boys from the lady bugs. Shit, a lot of those crawly critters, earthworms and slugs and such, are both. That doesn’t make you automatically get rid of the next tenet—the virgin birth, perhaps. But the next week or the next month, you re­alize that, nice try, Mary, I don’t even buy that any more. Next thing you know, it has become clear that ev­ery single one of those sa­cred teach­ings that got drilled into your head dur­ing those long and boring Sun­days when you would rath­er have been out play­ing base­ball or watching ant lions or even reading Browning (well, maybe not Browning, but Tennyson for sure) is just a sto­ry, no differ­ent from those prim­i­tive myths such as the tur­tle carry­ing the earth on its back or the creation of the great bear that you se­cretly snick­ered at from your exalted posi­tion of Judeo-Christian superiority.

Of course, none of the myths about the details have anything to do with the existence or nature of God. They’re just ways of explaining the world when you don’t have science to fall back on. But realizing that what you were taught was 90% bullshit makes it pretty hard to have much faith in the other 10%.

So my personal theology was still in transition. I didn’t believe in Noah’s ark or the virgin birth or magic or miracles. But I hadn’t made up my mind about whether Jesus was a real person or just a legend like Prometheus, much less whether there really was a capital-G God or not.

So now, what? I had in my possession irrefutable evi­dence that yes, there really was a person named (or at least called) Jesus Christ and besides that, he was a slightly deranged bum who had lucked into a magical cup from Atlantis that had given him the power to proclaim himself Messiah and met a good woman who transformed him into believing that God is love. Nothing happened like the Bible said, but I still didn’t know whose fault that was.

I still didn’t believe in Noah’s Ark. But what I did believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is this: don’t be so fucking sure you know it all.

Since I’d spent a lot of my life pretty sure I knew it all, that was a pretty big change. In a disturbingly short time.

Bronze goblet final

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s